slow cooker turkey pot pie with corn meal topping
A few weeks back, when I had fully intended to be in Slovakia, my vacation instead was delayed by a week due to that silly volcano. The entire trip was planned around attending a cousin’s wedding, so to help ease the stress of not knowing if the ash cloud would lift in time to make it to the celebrations, I needed a bit of true comfort food. I craved, for some strange reason and very specifically, turkey pot pie with a corn meal topping – a dish I’d not ever made before. This past winter I dabbled in crock pot cookery for the first time to some success with various recipes, so I thought why not try a turkey pot pie in the slow cooker?
I searched a couple of cook books and the web, and cobbled together this recipe from a few others. This first attempt was quite tasty, although the topping was more like dumplings and overall it was more like a stew. The next time I make it I’ll try to thicken the sauce a little more. However, this dish did serve to ease my tensions until confirmed on the next available flight.
Slow Cooker Turkey Pot Pie with Corn Meal Topping
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 ½ lbs boneless turkey breast, cubed
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
2 C sliced white mushrooms
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 ½ C frozen peas, thawed
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
5 sprigs fresh thyme
Fresh cracked black pepper
2 tbsp flour
2 C stock – vegetable or chicken
2/3 C corn meal
2 tbsp butter
1 C grated cheddar or other firm cheese
2 green onions, finely chopped
- Oil slow cooker with vegetable oil. Turn slow cooker to low.
- Brown turkey in frying pan and transfer to warmed slow cooker. Add salt and pepper as to preference.
- Fry onions in same pan until slightly browned and translucent and transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook mushrooms in same pan until slightly softened and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add corn and peas to slow cooker and stir all ingredients.
- Empty can of soup into a bowl and add ½ can of milk. Stir to combine and add to slow cooker.
- Remove leaves from three thyme springs and add to slow cooker. Stir all ingredients and place two sprigs of thyme on top and cover.
- Increase slow cooker temperature to high and cook for four hours, until turkey is no longer pink inside.
- Add the flour to the sauce and stir to thicken.
- To make the topping: in a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring broth to a boil. Add corn meal slowly in a steady stream, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and add butter, half the cheese and green onions. Spoon as evenly as possible over turkey mixture, top with remaining cheese and cook on high for about 45 minutes more.