With a massive snow storm approaching, I thought what better way to hunker down the evening before than to come home to a pot of steaming hot chili that had been slow cooking all day. What a treat it was to be greeted on my return home yesterday from a long day’s work with the aroma of chili coming from my kitchen – which actually greeted me in the hallway before I even got to door of my suite. I think the negative pressure in the hallway that normally draws air into the suites is off (nicer to smell chili cooking rather than the cigarette smoke I often smell from a neighbouring suite – but I digress).
I find chili is one of those recipes you can tweak to your liking or to what spices you may have handy, which is exactly what I did with this one. And chili is a dish that is so quick and easy to throw into a crockpot – helping me along with one of my new year’s resolutions. As long as you leave enough time in the morning before work for a bit of prep (or are more organized the night before), it is really easy to have a healthy meal ready for you when you get home.
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 lb ground turkey
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (rinsing removes a lot of the excess sodium)
* 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 tbsp dried onion flakes (saves on chopping onions first thing in the morning)
* 1 tsp Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (available at Asian and most main-stream grocery stores)
* 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place turkey in the pan, and cook until evenly browned; drain.
- To the slow cooker, add the browned turkey, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and dried onion. Season with hot chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. (This batch of chili cooked away for 10 hours on Low and it was great.)
- Top with shredded cheese, and sour cream and crumbled nacho chips if desired.